Home » Australia, Travel Blog

Working Hard for Food and Shelter

24 September 2012 No Comment

Tuesday 15th to Wednesday 16th March 2011 – WWOOFing in Noosa, Australia

I am a few days into my WWOOFing experience now and have already learned a lot of skills. Mike was back at work today leaving me to get on with things around the farm. First job of the day was to finish off the weeding from the previous day, so back onto the quad bike I went.

One of the owner’s dogs was particularly clingy today, and wouldn’t leave my side. It was a hindrance at times, but for this morning it was actually a great help. I had to work around a herd of very large bulls, and I had a red quad bike. Buster was there to protect me throughout, and made sure the bulls kept their distance.

I spent a lot of the morning helping Mike’s daughter paint her room, and also clearing the large shed of old rubbish. Another first for me was strapping a manual weed killer pump to my back and walking around getting the last little bits from the driveway. I must have resembled one of the ghost busters. Another long day was finished with a couple of movies before bed.

The following day I awoke again to a cane toad in the toilet, and flung it into the field by its back legs again. I’m starting to get used to this now. Incredibly, this small, empty cottage is starting to grow on me now and beginning to feel a little like home, although I am starting to get itchy feet again, and not because of the bugs. I feel as though I need paid work as soon as possible. I have been working 9 hour days for food and accommodation and feel as though I could be making a lot of money if I were being paid for my work.

Today I spent the morning spraying chlorine over the main gate to whiten it up again, and it appeared to work quite well. It looked nice afterwards, almost as good as new. It was hard work today as I spent many hours on my backside or my hands and knees, pulling weeds from the huge flower beds all around the main house. I had to collect all the fallen palm leaves and stack them in a pile on the lawn, uncovering huntsmen spiders a couple of times, causing a girly shriek and a sudden jump backwards from myself. I really have felt like I have put in a days work today. I mixed up some cement and blocked off the holes under the cottage to stop the snakes returning.

Stranded Machines on the FarmA couple of days ago we had a bit of trouble trying to dig out a pathway down the hill for a water slide for Mike’s son’s coming birthday. The digger was stranded in the wet mud next to the river, and the smaller digger suffered a similar fate whilst trying to free the larger machine. I couldn’t help but notice the two machines stuck on the hill today, although it was evident the water was receding quite a lot, thanks to a successful attempt to loosen the drainage tap.

I was thankful of my inflatable bed at the end of the day, and started to look forward to returning to flashpackers backpackers in Noosa in a few days. I just need to find paid work for a while, then I can continue the travelling. I can’t wait.

Author Box

Written by Daniel Stevens,
Founder of Roundtheworldtrip.org.
Find out more about the author
in my About page.

Follow me on Google Plus, Facebook, Twitter, or Subscribe to my RSS Feed

Read More Articles

Read More Travel Posts

Watch Some Video

Browse my Images

Leave your response!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.

Please complete the capcha below before submitting your comment, thank you.

Capcha *